I. POSTPONEMENT OF PACOM 2021 OF BRAZZAVILLE, REPUBLIC OF CONGO, scheduled for 2nd to 7th August 2021
New DATES: 1st to 6th August 2022, same venue
II.FOR THE AMU-PACOM 2021 AWARDS & MEDALS, A CATEGORY C FOR THE AFRICAN DIASPORA HAS BEEN ADDED
III.NEW DEADLINES FOR THE 10th PAN AFRICAN CONGRESS OF MATHEMATICIANS (1st to 6th August 2022)
December 18, 2021: Deadline for Application for mini-symposia or workshop organization.
January 29, 2022: Deadline for Abstracts submission.
April 30, 2022: Decision for grants.
May 28, 2022: Deadline for submission of posters.
July 2, 2022 : Announcement of the final scientific program.
July 30, 2022: Arrival of the colleagues registered and invited to attend the AMU General Assembly to be held on 31th July 2022.
July 31, 2022: Arrival day for the congress participants.
August 01, 2022: Opening ceremony of the 10th Pan African Congress of Mathematicians (PACOM 2021), and beginning of the scientific program until August 06, 2022.
August 06, 2022: End of the scientific program, and closing Ceremony of the 10th Pan African Congress of Mathematicians.
FOR THE AMU-PACOM 2021 Awards & Medals :
1. Nominations are open once more for categories A and B
2. Nominations for Category C are open, with criteria approved by the Selection Committee
Deadline for all the nominations : Friday 29th January 2022
Call for nomination: The AMU-PACOM 2022 AWARDS Call for nomination can be found here
Application form: The AMU-PACOM 2022 AWARDS Application form can be found here
AMU ACTIVITIES DURING THE YEAR 2018
1. The 3rd African Forum on Sciences, Technology and Innovations, 10-12 February, 2018, Cairo, Egypt. (With effective participation of AMU).
- AMU was represented by its President Prof Nouzha El Yacoubi
2. 7th International Conference on Mathematics and Information Science, Sohag University 15-17 February 2018, Egypt. (With the support of AMU Commission for Mathematics Education (AMUCME) and effective participation of AMU).
- AMU was represented by its President. She contributed as Invited speaker.
- Main organizer : Prof. Mahmoud Abdel Aty (the AMU-CME Chairperson).
- Prof. Maria De Natividade (AMU-CMEA Secretary) and Prof. Rachid Bebbouchi (AMU Vice- President for North Africa) attended the conference
3. 2nd International Conference on Mathematics & its Applications (ICMA 18), organized by National Committee for IMU and MUST University, 5-7 April 2018, Cairo, Egypt. (With effective participation of AMU).
- AMU was represented by its President. She contributed as Invited speaker.
- Prof. Mahmoud Abdel Aty (the AMU-CME Chairperson) attended the conference
4. 4th Congress of the Algerian Mathematicians, 12-13 May, 2018 University of Boumerdes, Algeria (With effective participation of AMU)
- AMU was represented by Prof Rachid Bebbouchi ( AMU-Vice President for North Africa). He delivered a plenary talk on behalf of the AMU President who couldn’t attend.
5. 26th Pan African Mathematics Olympiad 23-30 june 2018 Nairobi Kenya, PAMO 2018. (In collaboration with the AMU Commission for Pan African Mathematics Olympiads and effective participation of AMU).
- AMU was represented by its Presiden. She contributed as Mediator for PAMO 2018
- Main organizers : Prof. Adewale Solarin (AMUPAMOC Chairperson) and Dr. james Katende (AMU Vice President for East Africa) ;
- Dr Karam Aloui (AMUPAMOC Secretary), Prof Raoufh Thabet (AMU Executive Committee member) ;Dr Liam Baker (AMUPAMOC member) contributed in PAMO 2018
6. International Congress of Mathematicians, July 30 to 10 August, Rio De Janero, Brazil. (With effective attendance of the AMU President to the IMU General Assembly in Sao Paulo and contribution of AMU in the CDC Panel, of ICM 2018 in RIO with a presentation posters , and flyers, in RIO).
- AMU was represented by its President at the IMU General Assembly in Sao Paulo and at ICM 2018 in Rio. She contributed with a presentation on AMU (5mn) at the IMU GA, and with a presentation (10mn) , a TV interview, a poster and flyers for the CDC Panel « Strengthening mathematics in the developping countries »
- Many colleagues attended ICM 2018, in particular Prof Léonard Todjihoundi, the AMU Secretary General ; Dr. Zamurat Adegboye (AMU Executive Committee member), Prof. Daouda Sangare ( AMU Advisor) etc….
7. AMU Extraordinary General Assembly , and first AMU Executive Committee meeting : 23-26 September 2018.
- An AMU Extraordinary General Assembly was convened by the AMU Executive Committee and held during 24 September at the Sciences Faculty in Rabat. Il was chaired by the AMU President, all the AMU Executive Committee members attended excepted Dr. James Katende (AMU Vice President for East Africa) and Mr Mmloki Lekhutlile (AMU-Vice President for Southern Africa). The following colleagues attended : Prof. Daouda Sangaré (AMU Advisor, Mali) ; Prof. Mamadou Sangharé ( Chairperson, AMU-CRIMS, Senegal) ; Prof. Hamidou Touré (Burkina Faso) ; Prof. Mahaman Bazanfaré ( Deputy –Chair, AMU-CRIMS, Niger) ;Prof. Maria de Natividade (Secretary, AMU-CMEA, Angola) ; Prof. Noha El Khattabi (Secretary, AMU-CAWM, Morocco) ;Prof Khalil Ezzinbi ( Secretary, AMU-CRIMS, Morocco)
8. Francophone Mathematical Space 22-26 Octobre 2018, Paris.
- AMU was represented by its President. She contributed in the Pleanary Lecture : Conférence à trois voix « Mathématiques et Didactique des Mathématiques : quelles relations »
9. Regional Mathematical Olympiad Training of Trainers for African Women Mathematicians, August 2018, Abuja, Nigeria (by the AMU Commission for Pan African Mathematics Olympiads with the support of UNESCO-Abuja)
- AMU was represented by Prof. Adewale Solarin (AMU Ex-Officier and AMUPAMOC Chairperson ) who was the main of the workshop.
10. Conference on Partial Differential Equations and Applications (Conference in Honor of Prof. Hamidou Touré), University Ouaga 1, 5-9 November, 2018, Burkina- Faso ( with the parternship of AMU )
- AMU was represented by its President. She contributed with a tribute to Prof Hamidou Touré
- The AMMSI- Philipp Grifits Price2018 was awarded, To : Prof. Khalil Ezzinbi (Cadi Ayyad University, Marrakech , Morocco. It was announced officially during that conference, by the AMMSI Executive Director Prof Wandera Ogana, the cerficate was given to him by the AMMSI President Prof Hamidou Touré and a presentation on the AMMSI- Philipp Grifitts Price 2018 winner Prof Khalil Ezzinbi was given by Prof El Nouzha El Yacoubi as AMMSI Regional Coordinator for North Africa
- Prof. Khalil Ezzinbi (AMU-CRIMS Secretary) attended the conference, as invited speaker and Chair of the Scientific Committee of the conference.
11. Satellite Conference on African Women in Mathematics ( 22-23 November 2018) in the frame work of the SAMSA (Southern Africa Mathematical Sciences Association) 2018 conference (19th to 22th November, 2018), Botswana International University of Sciences and Technology . Botswana. (In collaboration with the AMU Commission for African Women in Mathematics and effective participation of AMU).
- AMU was represented by its President for the SAMSA 2018 conference. She contributed as Key note speaker for the satellite conference on African Women in Mathematics STIMATH 2018. AMU-CAWM was represented by Prof. Eunice Mureithi (AMU-CAWM Chairperson)
12. African Women in Mathematics Association (AWMA) Workshop, 6th & 7th December 2018, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
- AMU was represented by its President. She contributed with a speach at the Opening Ceremony.
13. AMU Website:
- The AMU website has been launched in July 2018.
- Dr Hatim Naqos assisted efficiently for the launching of the AMU website : www.africamathunion.org
14. PACOM 2017 Proceedings:
- Some papers are still under reviewing.
- Prof Jacek Banaziak reported that Afrika Matematika has been included into the Emerging Sources Citation Index of the Web of Science
15. 2018 Newsletter of the AMU Commission on History of Mathematics in Africa (AMU-CHMA) in French and English:
- The Newsletter has been edited under the leadership of Prof. Laabid Ezzaim , the AMU-CHMA Chairperson by the end of January 2019
16. AFRICAN MATHEMATICAL SCHOOLS (EMA) held in 2018
All the scheduled EMAs for 2018 took place under the leadership of Prof Léonard Todjihoundi in his capacity of past coordinator of the EMAs :
1. Mathematical modeling for epidemiology, ecology and conservation, 22 – 28 January 2018, Abomey-Calavi, Benin ;
2. Algebra and Applications, 15 -26 January, 2018, Lubango, Angola ;
3. Cryptography et theory of Galois, 16 -28 July, 2018, Yaoundé, Cameroon ;
4. Mathematics for Cryptography and Robotics, 2 - 4 April, 2018, Masuku, Gabon ;
5. Outils de Topologie Algébrique et Géométrique, 25 June - 07 July, 2018, Rabat, Maroc ;
6. Mathematical modeling into problems in conservation, ecology and epidemiology, 14 - 31 May 2018, Dakar, Senegal ;
7. Homological methods in algebra and geometry, 09 - 28 July 2018, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania